rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a reduced engine performance message. 6 weeks ago the

Customer Question

I have a reduced engine performance message. 6 weeks ago the garage reset the message board and told me the car was fine. O think they reset the computer. Do you know how I can reset the computer. I added a half litre of oil Any advice would be welcome. Thanks
JA: What size is your engine? How many miles since your last oil change?
Customer: V70 with 127000 on the clock and service was 5onthe ago and no more than 5000 miles since service
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to know if I can reset the message board so the car drives more smoothly
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The car uses a litre of oil every 1500 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Okay, I attached the way to do a reset, BUT, if this does NOT work, you will need to have a scan tool attached to the computer to find the problem. Thanks in advance for a good rating:)

Thanks, Ron