rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

We have a 2008 xc90. On a road trip it developed a loud

Customer Question

we have a 2008 xc90. On a road trip it developed a loud whistle. But only at low rpm. especially at idle. It disappears at higher rpm. any ideas? Itis very loud.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

That would normally be either a vacuum leak or a pulley bearing staring to go out. This can be closer identified with a stethoscope that mechanics use for finding noises. Car parts stores even sell this tool.

Thanks, Ron

Thanks, Ron