Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

If I buy a Tcm 2004. Volvo xc90 will it work if the numbers

Customer Question

If I buy a Tcm for mY 2004. Volvo xc90 will it work if the numbers match
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

If you get a new one you have to order software for it , but if you can find the matching number used one ,it should work but make sure , You dont disconnect TCM until you remove batter cable for at least 2 minutes. also when you install battery disconnect it for 3 minutes then insatll

2004 Volvo XC90 L5-2.5L Turbo VIN 59 B5254T2

Save Article

Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only

Transmission control module (TCM), replacing Points to observe when replacing the control module Caution! Software can only be ordered when the control module is installed in the vehicle. VIDA reads off the new control module identity which is required to order the correct software. Caution! Wait two minutes after the ignition has been switched off. The main relay must be voltage-free before the control module can be removed from the car. If the engine cooling fan runs on after the ignition has been switched off, wait until it stops. Then wait another two minutes. Caution! Always check that the control module and control module box connector pins and sleeves are not bent or damaged. This may have caused the fault. Preparations for replacement

Zoom and Print Options

Remove:
- the cable from the battery negative terminal. See Battery, disconnecting See: Battery > Procedures > Battery Disconnecting
- the cover over the control module.

Removing the control module

Zoom and Print Options

Note! Do not touch the control module terminal pins with your fingers. Static electricity may damage components in the control module.

Insert tool(###) ###-####Wrench See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Wrench (1) in the car around the control module. Move the upper section of the tool backwards as far as it will go (2). Pull up the tool.
Carefully pull up the control module.

Installing the control module

Zoom and Print Options

Carefully press the control module down into the grooves on the inside of the control module box. Press down all the way.
Insert tool(###) ###-####Wrench See: Vehicle > Electrical / Mechanical Repair >(###) ###-####Wrench around the control module.
Move the upper section of the tool forwards to stop and pull it up.
Press the cover into place over the control modules.
Check that the air ducts are correctly positioned.
Connect the battery negative lead. First read Battery, disconnecting See: Battery > Procedures > Battery Disconnecting.

Ordering software
Order applicable software. See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning

Zoom and Print Options

Finishing
Check that no diagnostic trouble codes have been stored during the repair.

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything esle on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)