Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

Reduced engine performance light came on. Replaced the turbo

Customer Question

reduced engine performance light came on. Replaced the turbo boost value, same issue exists.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Does the light stay on?
Customer: nope. stays on for awhile. I found if I stop for a short while, the code goes away.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: 2005 s60r
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. and I told you. replaced the turbo booster value.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to help you with this concern we are going to need the actual fault code and or codes you are setting when the light comes on. If you can scan the system and retrieve the code and or codes and post back with them I will help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have two scanners - no does not connect, the other says no codes. However, I know that when volvo reads the scan, their is a deeper scan and code identifier.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It also means that I have to keep the scanner with me at all times, since the code only comes on after ~ 20 miles of driving. At least so far.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Well if you can get me the actual code it would be very helpful in being able to help you get this resolved.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah, true, but given I cannot even get the car out of the neighborhood at this point to attempt to get a code (no power), looks like I need to have it towed and pay someone else to analyze. Most likely if I had the codes, I could decipher it any way. I thought with the experience, I would have a place to at least start to repair myself. Volvo obviously has hidden codes that are not readable by the standard OBD scanners. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. With out knowing the fault code I would only be guessing and unfortunately thats not the way to go.