rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2007 volvo xc90 with just over 60,000 miles. Lately

Customer Question

Hello.... I have a 2007 volvo xc90 with just over 60,000 miles. Lately I am hearing air being pushed out through the gas tank area. It happens when the car is on and in park. Please help.
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried taking the gas cap off, which seems to have allowed some trapped air out, but it seems to keep building up again. Now check engine light is on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. Otherwise car has been great. We use high test fuel and have not had any issues like this in the past.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This vent valve may be the issue in the evap system. You need to check this with a scan tool in bidirectional mode. Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. That is what I had thought.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

You're welcome, thank you too and please don't forget to rate me now.

Thanks again, Ron