Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

I'm dealing with Exhaust VVT Hub on a 2002 2.3L T5 My

Customer Question

I'm dealing with Exhaust VVT Hub on a 2002 2.3L T5 My question is: Is it normal that you can turn the VVT Hub but does not have tension to retract? IS that a sign of a bad Hub. Hub has not been removed from the camshaft. Timing belt has been aligned and engine turned manually to make sure that there is no interference. Timing belt is set by securing the camshafts in the back end and tensioner tighten ccw as this is a 2002 model Motor oil has been replaced. The car does not start and throws P0340 Generic code. Camshaft Sensor is new and tested in other operating vehicle. Input signal 5.1 Volts, All injectors have electricity. Engine turns but does not fire. It makes low backfire sounds. It almost fires if it is started with one injector disconnected.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: New battery. Engine turns freely and even compression in all cylinders
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Set timing multiple times per Vida specs. Lock cams with tool. Align crankshaft by going CW passed a quarter turn and set crankshaft in designed marking in oil pump. Both Cams align but the Exhaust VVT Hub does not have a spring tension behavior. You can turn it freely either way. Set timing belt by running belt from crank to idler to Intake, then, turn clockwise exhaust VVT Hub. (both cams align to the Cover markings, followed by H2O Pump and tensioner. then do a pulling the slack between crank, idler and intake before proceeding to tension eccentric in a ccw movement as it calls on Vida. Tested signal and injectors, Tested signal and Crankshaft sensor, tested signal and Camshaft Sensors. ECU and CEM tested by Xemodex and passed. Replaced alarm Horn as it had the warning and sunroof did not work. Now it works
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: This is a stock car. Nothing aftermarket. All parts OEM
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

IN some cases since no one has posted any info here on this you may need to obtain this info from a dealer as in some cases the info you are looking for can be difficult to locate.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted with no success let me know so we can continue from here.

Thanks Pete