Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

2014 Volvo XC90 message light comes on saying "engine system

Customer Question

2014 Volvo XC90 message light comes on saying "engine system service required"...what does that mean? Can I continue to drive vehicle to get it to service dept.?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool? What confuses you?
Customer: no coded reader...assume since it is message light & not warning light that it is OK to drive to service dept.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Volvo Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No...am due for scheduled maintenance in a few thousand miles & vehicle is still under warrenty
JA: OK! The Volvo Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.

Hi I'm Kevin is there any real difference to drive ?any lack of power ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no....I have not received a response??????????? & my credit card ahs been charged!!!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I don't get response soon, I am going to cancel the charge on the credit card
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 5 months ago.

The engine system service required is the common equivalent of the engine management light, the ecu will be programmed to display this when it detects an error and it will either put the vehicle into a limp mode, impose a rev limiter or drive seemingly normally, depending on how severe the problem is. If the car appears to be in a limp mode then it is likely you would only want to make it to a safe place, if the vehicle seems otherwise okay then the ecu hasn't deemed the fault serious enough to protect the engine.

Without any information or trouble codes it is impossible to tell you anything further.

The following procedure may show you what systems the fault or faults are within, but it will not show you the relevant DTC's (codes used to translate into a text fault description)

Press and hold the READ button with the car running. Then press and release the rear fog light button 2 times fast and release the read button. It will say checking for codes in the window. Use the read button to scroll through the modules and see what has codes. It doesn't give codes but only tells what modules have them.

Some models I believe used the brake pedal instead of the fog light.

Let me know what it comes up with.

I guess the above helped as I haven't heard back, please rate if I have helped.