Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, shop owner, 30+ years all makes and models
2947720

I have a 2000 volvo s40 1.9 liter turbo that will not idle?

Customer Question

Category: Volvo
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** you for using the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

*** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE *****

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern.

.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1b10mpwzhdtz1t/THROTTLE%20MODULE.pdf?dl=0

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xuhkxchtvt2m4g/Removing%20the%20throttle%20body.pdf?dl=0

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this a joke? You did not answer my question?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

Your Question seemed to be, "I have a 2000 volvo s40 1.9 liter turbo that will not idle?",

The factory had put out a service bulletin for unstable idle on it.

Do you feel that it might be a bad IAC valve? I can get the tests for that, thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Could be?
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 months ago.

That could be an idle air control problem or just dirt in the air passages in the throttle body, (like the factory says).

……..

However,

You will want to do a throttle body cleaning on it to make sure that all of the idle air passages are clear of any carbon build up.

.

You can pick up a can of “throttle body cleaner” just about anywhere auto parts are sold.

.

You can normally follow the directions on the can but I always spray some in the intake while the throttle plate is closed to be sure that it gets into all of the passages. You don’t want to use carb cleaner though, as it’s not safe for the 02 sensors.

..

Also, you want to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks and that the intake air hose is on good and free of any cracks.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I cleaned the throttle body and that did not work
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Probably the IAC then, thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do you test it
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 months ago.

Normally that can be checked with a scan tool. However, after reviewing your history, I am no longer able to help you, thanks