Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

Just read your thread on voltage regulator issue in a Volvo

Customer Question

Edward. Just read your thread on voltage regulator issue in a Volvo s40 2.4i. I appear to be having the exact same issue. Instrument cluster showing "Charging System Service" message and the battery light is on. It started as "Overvoltage warning" and then switched to "Charging System Service". My battery is testing a little low. It isn't too old, however. I replaced my alternator two years ago. The local auto parts store diagnosed the battery as good condition but a little low. Their system said the alternator was working but that the regulator was showing as failed. My question for you is, how can I replace the voltage regulator without removing the alternator. That is quite a job. Is there a way to give myself better access to the regulator without completely removing it?
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, assuming you agree that the voltage regulator is the culprit and I can replace it without pulling out the alternator, will I have to reset the instrument warnings or will they automatically go away when the regulator is functioning properly?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Sorry for the long delay, are you still seeking help?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will anyone answer with something more than a question asking if i'm still looking for an answer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am getting conflicting information on the voltage regulator part# ***** my 2006 s40 2.4i. It first shows up as part# ***** But when I called one of the Volvo online parts warehouses, they claim the part# ***** ***** #30667900 (which is over $100 more than the other part). They ran the VIN to verify and claim that even though my car is a 2006 and the more expensive part is for 2007 and newer, that my 2006 needs the 2007 part. So can you verifiy that for me as long as you are researching this? The VIN is YVXMS382562156979. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We're getting close to 24 hour response time. Can someone respond? I need to order the part TODAY in order to get it in time to have it installed before I leave on a business trip. Since I'm getting a message asking me if I'd rather do a phone call for faster response for an additional $26, I'm starting to realize this website might be a con. You make us wait to lead us to pay more for a phone call??? Seems to be a disgusting upsell tactic. Your system guarantees a response in less than 24 hours "usually in 10 minutes". This is a simple issue for a "5 star" experienced mechanic. There should be a system in place for a better response time. But the system appears to be set up to drive people to pay more for a response. I could have paid $75 for my local Volvo dealership to run a diagnostic. The point of this website is to offer expert advice that costs less than the full dealership price in less than 24 hours "usually in 10 minutes". Can someone please respond and demonstrate that the upsell con isn't your thing?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just called customer service. They basically kept asking me if I'd like to pay an additional $26 to talk to another mechanic. Wow. This is all about making people wait. I just read the FAQs which states that most questions are addressed in less than an hour. And here I sit in the middle of the week with a 20 + hour wait. Chris "Moose", I can't understand why you logged on and asked if I still needed a question answered instead of just answering the question! Your bio says you log on after 3pm, which guarantees that I'm stuck without a response until the next day. Why wouldn't you just read and answer the question as long as you were logged on and looking at my question? Customer service just tried to get me to buy a phone call. This is ridiculous.