Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

No throttle response : 1999 Volvo S80 T6. Replaced MAF

Customer Question

No throttle response
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 1999 Volvo S80 T6. Replaced MAF sensor,cleaned ETM. Only goes up to 2000rpm.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No codes. No check engine light either.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Cleaned ETM, replaced MAF sensor
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: Also replaced MAnifold boost sensor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a Volvo master certified technician i will be happy to help you with your vehcile.

A number of tests will need to be performed for a low power complaint.

1. Check for any boost leaks post turbo. Especially look at the plastic tube above the motor. This tube has been known to crack along the seam and leak.

2. Check fuel pressure.

3. Normal boost on this engine is 8-10 PSI. If proper boost is not being achieved, check Turbocharger Control Valve (TCV), wastegate function and spin the turbos by hand and make sure they spin for 5 seconds after letting go.

4. Check the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) output. Expect to see 3-4.5 grams/second at idle, 9-15 at 2500 RPM, no load and a maximum output of 180+ at 5000 RPM, wide open throttle.

I would start with visually checking the intake air tubes for any cracks. Then i would test for proper fuel pressure. A fuel pressure test gauge is needed and can be found at most autoparts stores.