Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Ive been having problems with my coolant system light coming

Customer Question

Ive been having problems with my coolant system light coming on. My vOVLO s80 does not leak but it sucks the coolant out to close to bottom of the tank occassionallyt. what does a thermastate replacement do?
what is done for major service, my volvo s80 is only 7 years old (I was told the major service is done at 10 years - true? it has 110,000 miles
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. If the coolant level keeps going low, there is a leak somewhere in the system. It needs to be properly tested with a pressure tester and then all parts of the system examined for leaks, including the water pump, thermostat, hoses, reservoir and heater core. If the thermostat is not leaking and is functioning properly, it does not need to be replaced.

As for services, they are done every 7,500 miles. The maintenance schedule can be found in your owners manual, or online HERE

Expert:  Andy replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen. You can always follow up at any time. Thank you!