Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

I have a 2001 V70 XC 130k miles on clock. Engine starts but

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 2001 V70 XC 130k miles on clock. Engine starts but won't idle. Engine dies when put in drive. Assume fuel pump relay???
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery turns engine. Lights don't seem dim inside car when engine has stopped.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That would be nice. I was trying to physically locate the passenger compartment panel where the fuel pump relay is,
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: This condition may be associated with a hesitation noticed when driving and turning on curse control. Cruse control light would not come on and was not able to engage cruse control. Car started ok after shopping, but quit running at first intersection.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. The fuel pump relay is on the CEM (Central Electrical Module) up under the drivers side of the dash. However, if the vehicle drives and does ok when going down the road, then I doubt it's the fuel pump relay. The check engine light should be on with this problem your having in my opinion. Have you checked codes by chance? Let us know. thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Edward,The car no longer runs down the road as it won't stay running. Thank you. Kind regards, Greg
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Alright, Do you have or have access to an OBD II type engine scanner Greg? I would really like to know if the vehicle is setting any codes and would they were.

Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Your not getting a "START Prevented" or "Immobiliser" message in the instrument cluster by chance are you? or Reduced power?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll get back to you. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Edward replied 4 months ago.

Absolutely, You could also borrow a fuel pressure gauge from a local auto parts store. Then get your deposit back when you bring it back, If you look on the end of the injector rail, there is a port there, screw the gauge onto the port and turn the key on, If you have 40 psi of pressure or so, the fuel pump and FP relay are good.