Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

When the the temperature is hot outside and I start the car,

Customer Question

When the the temperature is hot outside and I start the car, several different messages will appear on the dashboard, often the a/c will not work, the gauges on the instrument panel will not work, and the transmission will stop working correctly. When i turn the car off and restart many times the problems will quit, but they come back.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The engine turns over fine and the i'm not sure of the battery age
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i took it to the dealer and they can not locate the issue
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: not that i know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. What year and model is your volvo. thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2007 s60
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Alright, does the check engine light come on when driving now or have you seen it since this problem started?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it doesn't always come on but i have seen it. it was on this morning, but when i restarted it was gone
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

I follow you, did the dealership check for codes? and if they did, do you happen to know what is stored? I feel sure it has more than one code. but It would help to know what codes it's setting.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the did check for codes, but i don't know which ones were triggered. several were flagged, but none were active when they started it
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

I follow you, does the instrument panel ever go dark when driving? or go out completely then come back up?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have seen check engine, check anti-lock brakes system, check transmission, but the only instruments that have quit intermittently are the rpm gauge and temperature gauge. speed gauge and fuel keep working.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
not ABS, but anti-skid
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Alright, I suspect you probably have codes in the DIM (Drivers information module) or the instrument cluster as most people refer to it. What is most common is the DIM fails, shuts the network down, and you get all kinds of codes and issues going on. If this vehicle came in the first thing I would do is look for communication faults in the DIM. If that is the case, then likely you would need to replace the DIM, the solder joints get hot and crack over time. Which is another reason why it may be more prone to hot weather to act up. Being you have instrument cluster issues , I can only think that it is all related. Because I've seen this problem before. It's fairly common on your model S60.

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

The dealer wants a lot of money for a new DIM. However, one alternative that I have had excellent service with is using this service from Xemodex, where you send out your old cluster, and they rebuild it for you and send it back. Then you don't need software to download and it's remove your old one, send it to them, and they send it back, and that is it. Vs. getting a new one from Volvo for 1K plus and still having to download the software. I would consider using this and I believe it will fix your problem. Check this link.

http://xemodex.com/us/product/driver-information-module-for-volvo-vo-1030-862473-10-20/

Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.