Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

I have a 2006 V40 with manual transmission. IT just started

Customer Question

I have a 2006 V40 with manual transmission. IT just started having electrical issues, wipers will come on, Dash and gauges goes dead. A time it would not start and then it would. Blinkers wont work sometimes. Left it idling and it overheated because I think it did not turn on the cooing fans. It seams the control for most of the electrical functions is losing its programing. I see many of like comments on the internet but lots of different answers. None to the point. Many with dealership run around. What do you suggest and can you tell what the problem is? Rod Hyatt
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: All fuses and relays have been checked. But that makes no sense. Why would they not work and then work?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Probably not. But I do all the checking I can before the dealer. And the dealer is 2 hours away
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: We had a bump on the front end about a year ago right in the middle of the license plate. I removed the front plastic piece and lower shield and for repairs. The impact sensors were unplugged and reassemble. After that the SRS lights on the dash came on with its warning. not had it back to the dealer to have it reset. The bump was lite and did not set off the SRS system. That was done by unplugging them with the battery still connected. But that is a year ago and 20k miles later.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to be able to determine what may be causing these issues the first thing you are going to need to do is to scan the computer system and see what fault code and or codes are that should be setting when these systems fail. If you can get this done and post back with them, I will see if I can help you narrow this down and get it resolved.