Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

The warning light "charging failure" service urgent. What

Customer Question

The warning light "charging failure" service urgent. What does it mean? 2010 XC 70
JA: How old is your battery? When was the last tune up?
Customer: the battery is about a year old. last year
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The warning light came on, then went off. I stopped the car and turned off. Restarted no warning drove a few miles came back on then went off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, is it safe to drive. MY dealership in about 30 miles away.
JA: OK! The Volvo Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: Is the car OK to drive to the dealership?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: what does the warning mean?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My dealership is a***** is the car safe to drive?
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

I am Derek, a Volvo master technician i will be happy to assist you with your question.

Charging failure is a warning message the battery is not being properly charged. The most common cause for failure is a bad alternator.

I would not recommend trying to drive the 30 miles. If the Alternator can not charge the battery you will not make it far. It is very hard to say how long you can actually make it, this is due to the battery's load capacity, age and the electrical loads when driving the vehicle. On modern vehicles the electrical demands on the alternator and battery are high. With a failed alternator the battery will drain very quickly.

If it was my car i would get it towed, this is so you don't waist time being stranded on the road somewhere.

If you have any other questions please let me know!

Thanks

Derek