Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2006 XC90 AWD T5; had a leak from the right side

Customer Question

I have a 2006 XC90 AWD T5; had a leak from the right side fuel tank gasket; changed both left & right gaskets and fuel filter at the same time. All fuel components back together. Car runs fine. Fuel gauge not registering, so I removed all to check and see that both left & right floats were clear of the hoses/tubes/wires for remote fuel tank-- all ok. Fuel gauge still not working.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Its possible you damaged the wiring or a pin in one of the connectors to the fuel level sending unit. Have you tested the wiring and PHM tested the level indicators yet?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the top of your screen you will see 1-5 stars and a green submit button. You have already paid all the fees, now its time to rate the answer. Rating pays me from your deposit. I am only paid through not by the website if you rate me. Don't worry about a follow up later if needed, they are free and I welcome them. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please elaborate a bit more on your advice.

Sure, here is a wire diagram. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/xc90fuel.pdf

You need to unplug both sending units and the CEM module. Then OHM test all 3 sending unit wires at both ends to confirm they are not broken. Then OHM test them to each other to make sure the wires are not touching each other. Then OHM test them to battery ground and power to make sure they are not touching the chassis or other frayed wires. If all those pass then check the sending units by OHM testing the signal in and out to see if it changes when the fuel level changes.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris