Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician

Climate control fan wont turn off even when key is taken out

Customer Question

climate control fan wont turn off even when key is taken out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: when I was driving the air conditioning suddenly wasnt working as well as usual so i tried turning up the fan speed, then it stopped blowing for a few seconds then suddenly started going at full speed, when i pulled over and turnrd off the ignition it still was going. had to disconect battery to stop it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible ?
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, a Volvo master technician i will be happy to assist you with your question.

What is the year make and model of your Volvo?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2004 Volvo S60 manual shift
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, I had a automotive training class the last 2 days.A blower fan staying on is caused by a failed blower motor resistor. The blower fan will draw to many amps from the resistor and causes it to fail. As the blower fan ages it develops a high amp draw. For a long term repair it is highly recommended to replace the blower fan and resistor.