Technicaldan
Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited
94166128

2004 xc90 sun roof wont close : I opened it yesterday like

Customer Question

2004 xc90 sun roof wont close
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I opened it yesterday like normal and when i went to close it nothing happened
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive tried looking for a manual screw to close it back ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How long should this take
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm in the uk and haven't been able to use the call option as yet due to needing a us formatted telephone number to input.

I will do my best to help you by text, before I start, there is a 'weird trick' I would like you to try.

Can you from outside the vehicle, lock and then unlock the vehicle using the key, not the remote, then get in the car and close the doors, then turn on and off the car 5 times, then try.

(Hopefully This will reset the computer)

I will now find where the emergency closure is, if available and report back, I just wanted to give you this information before I find the emergency closure for you.

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf3/63/6215/621489-volvo/xc90_2004.pdf?c5504b27c39465588e842ade401959d6&take=binary

This is a link to the manual for your vehicle, which I am now reading so I can direct you to the relevant pages.

The fuses are on page 190 of the pdf (page number by the pdf, not the document)

There doesn't appear to be reference to a physical winding mechanism in the manual, but there is reference to the system being self resetting.

Manual closure seems to be performed by holding the button.

The moonroof is on page 64 of the pdf.

If I find a manual winder I will let you know!

Fuses 14, 10a and 26, 15a I would consider checking if this hasn't helped.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By turn on the car 5 times do u mean with the motar running

No, just ignition on. Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How would i know if it reset the computer

The sunroof would work

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope nothin happened

Next thing to check would be the fuses, I have sent you a like to the owners manual.

If the reset hasn't worked and the fuses are okay there is little more in scope of the casual repair, do you have access to code reading equipment and tools?

I've confirmed there is no access panel to a manual winding point, it is a case of removing the headlining to get to everything.

If the fuses are all in order, I would like you to try a battery reset, this involves disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

From memory, the sunroof shares the same bus as the alarm and this can sometimes bring down the network, out of interest does the alarm function?

You could leave a window open, lock and set, then after a few minutes wave your arm in, this is a long shot though.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Didnt work