FIXITMAN, Master Technician

I have made a mistake when removing the harmonic balancer on

Customer Question

I have made a mistake when removing the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft end of a v50 volvo 5 cylinder. I used a puller and pulled the crankshaft pulley off with balancer. Didn't realise you could probably just wriggle the balancer off...
So now I have a larger issue...the crankshaft has not moved, but as the cam pulleys were not locked when the belt came off (as I couldn't time the motor until I saw the crank pulley) I'm a little concerned they may have moved slightly
After hitting my head repeatedly on a brick wall while saying Doh a lot I cane up with this plan.
Lock the cams at the position they are in. Install new belt, idler, adjuster, waterpump. Rotate crank pulley until it is on timing mark...check cams...if the are out..move them to correct mark??? Am I on the right track?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** happens. Don't beat yourself up too bad about it. You are on the right track though. When you reinstall the belt you can simply align everything and slowly crank the engine over several times making sure that everything is still aligned. If it is not then you will need to realign it. If it is not aligned then you will notice it when cranking the engine over and trying to align everything. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.