Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

2005 S40 T5, the alternator tensioner has to be changed,

Customer Question

2005 S40 T5, the alternator tensioner has to be changed, stripped hex hole. Is this a DIY job?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The belts needed changing. I routed the inner belt wrong while applying too much force on the tensioner. Tool slipped, hex hole stripped. Have new part, but hesitant to proceed.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if it is not too complicated as the volvo has a turbo. I have done work on this car before.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Removed the center bolt and pried on the visible pulley with a crow bar. Some movement, but i am hesitant.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: Not that i can think of. It looks straight forward, pull out the old , in with the new. But the original seems stuck .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.

Hi. This is a pretty decent sized job. The engine does have to be lifted a bit and supported. You have to take off the outer tensioner before removing the inner tensioner. That could be the problem you are having.

I know you do have to take the insulator off, the engine mount, and move the power steering line as well.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I responded earlier. The part has been changed.