Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

I have a 2010 s40 and the key fob stopped working recently.

Customer Question

i have a 2010 s40 and the key fob stopped working recently. before it stopped, i was getting low battery warnings. i had the battery replaced but now it doesn't work.
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: even with a new battery nothing happens when i try to lock or unlock the car using the fob.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just tried changing the batteries then starting the car hoping that would program the fob. haven't tried anything else
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: not really. it's in good shape.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. What usually causes the low battery message is the battery or batteries in the key fob/remote but in some cases I have seen the actual remote/fob fail on its own internally and cause the low battery warning as well as what you have occuring here now.I suspect since the battery was replaced it either needs reprogrammed by a dealer to work again as it may have got to low on battery power to a point programming was lost by the vehicle for the remote/fob or the remote/fob has failed internally needing replaced.Both of these will cause this issue here.I would try and have it reprogrammed first to see if this resolves the fault and if it does not then the remote will need replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no kidding. i didn't need you to tell me that, i wanted to find out how to reprogram the remote myself.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
There is a technical service bulletin on this issue that I have located after some research.It applies to the remote being inoperative after the battery low message was seen.They want you to try and disconnect the main battery for 2 minutes then reconnect it and see if the remote then works.If this does not work let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. I won't be able to do this until tonight or tomorrow morning - how will i get in touch with you then?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
I apologize we are seeing some thick fog in my area so my internet is cutting in and out. You can come back here and post when your ready.You can save this to your favorites then come back that way or through the emails sent to you on this here.The info on the bulletin says if this battery reset does not work then normal diagnostics need done to see if you need reprogramming (which will require a dealers scan tool/computer to do) or if a keyless entry component has failed like the receiver needing replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete