Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

Reduced engine performance message. Will not go over 5mph

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I accidentally sprayed the whole inside under the hood whole washing my car the other night. Next morning it started rough and that message came on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I need my car to run
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: I never had this problem before. It has been raining for days, something about a computer sensor getting wet
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. What can happen is one or more of the engine data sensors or connectors can get water in them and cause this issue.In some cases you can disconnect the connectors to try and dry out any wet components to correct this here but in other cases if a sensor has become wet at all internally that sensor would need replaced to correct this fault.You can get the fault codes read out with a scan tool that is compatible with this fault here to see what codes are set.Places like Auto Zone will usually check these at no charge and may be able to rent out this scan tool to do this for you as well.Once this is done this will give you an idea of the area of fault needing checked into to repair this fault here.Hopefully the component or connector can be dried out to resolve this without having to replace anything. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete