Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

I have a 2010 XC60 R design. The tailgate opens but when the

Customer Question

I have a 2010 XC60 R design. The tailgate opens but when the tailgate button is pushed the tailgate does not close.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have to manually close the tailgate on my Volvo xc60. The vehicle is a 2010 R-design. what are the steps to correct the situation?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Hopefully
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: The battery drains and has to be recharged when the vehicle is not used for 3 or more day
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In order to determine the cause for the tail gate not closing you are going to need access to a Volvo compatible scan tool.The Power Operated Tailgate Module (POT) checks the voltage over the left and right pinch sensors, which are in the weatherstrip on the liftgate. Check clamping sensors by clicking on the symbol for VCT2000 scanner and read out their status. Status shall show pressed in when you press on the clamping sensor, and not pressed in when there is no pressing.If the tailgate is closed, and status for any clamping sensor shows pressed in, this indicates that some sensor is resting against the body. This can mean that the weatherstrip on the liftgate, which contains the pinch sensors are loose and/are poorly fitted. Check and remedy if necessary.If the tailgate is open and the status for any clamping sensor shows invalid value or pressed in, this may indicate that the sensor is damaged by water or chafed. Check this and adjust if possible.