sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Volvo V70 glt: I have a Volvo V70 with a cruise control that

Customer Question

I have a Volvo V70 with a cruise control that only woks on occasion. Can you help with a solution.
Many thanks
Peter Damm, Seattle
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
Hi , sorry to her about your car problem. In Your Car The cruise system on that car uses a vacuum pump with an integrated hold and dump solenoid and the throttle has a vacuum servo. There is also a mechanical vacuum dump valve and switch combo in contact with brake pedal.I have replaced a few pumps on 10 year old plus cars for your issue but a servo leak, hose leak, or leaking pedal vac valve can cause it also.Your described symptom fits the pump unit problem most closely.The testing to assure it is pump is done by using a hand held vacuum tester (Mightyvac or other. Harbor freight I think sells one) to pump vacuum in system at hose removed from vac pump under battery. If the vacuum holds and throttle stays at position you bring it to for 45 seconds or more then the vac pump is it. If it leaks letting throttle move continuously then find your leak at servo, hose, or switch. You can watch throttle if you remove the black cover on the linkage under hood.There is a way you can do a system test using the cruise vac pump but it requires a special jumper lead and if it leaks down you have to do other things to isolate the failed part.
If you have access to a auto repair shop , if they have a what we call a smoke machine , you can check the system this way where the smoke will show if there any crack in the vacuum lines , that is the best way to do it if its available to you .
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Do you still need help?