Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

On my 02 s40 I replaced the engine with an used one and now

Customer Question

on my 02 s40 I replaced the engine with an used one and now the car is not starting and I have a code p0017
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I replaced the 400k engine with the cylinder head gasket blowen with an engine took by me from a scrapyard with a decent compression.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: With this code I am clueless
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: The firs key was kind of rough start and after that looks like is missfiring
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The code P0017 can be set by any of the following, Camshaft Position (CMP) SensorIncorrect Camshaft TimingCrankshaft Timing GearFlywheelIn order to determine the cause you are going to need to some testing. I have enclosed the things to check in the link below, copy and paste the link toy our browser to open and view them.