sprinkles08
sprinkles08,
9825021

Volvo S40: I have an automatic transmission s40 Volvo 1997

Customer Question

I have an automatic transmission s40 Volvo 1997 and my car won't lock into any gear but park. The gear shift slips through from reverse right down to first without locking into any gear. Could this have something to do with my back break light not working? My transmission fluid level is full.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  s.c.2 replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Volvo. I will try to help you.
I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.
First I will need a little more information so I can assist you better. May I ask did this gradually happen or just all of a sudden one day I wouldn't lock?
Let me know so I can assist furtherThanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All of a sudden the gears wouldn't lock in. I drove the car into the garage just fine and noticed that when I put the car into park the gear shift seemed to just drag through to park rather sluggishly as if I hadn't depressed the button on the gear shift at all. I thought it felt odd so I tried to put the car into reverse and it wouldn't lock in.
Expert:  s.c.2 replied 7 months ago.
You mentioned a brake light doesn't work. Is it only one or all of them? This shouldn't matter as it only effects it coming out of park. It locks the button from being able to be pushed. Can you push the button without stepping on the brake (when it's in park that is)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can push the button without stepping on the brake when it is in park.
Expert:  s.c.2 replied 7 months ago.
Do you still have the console apart? I need you to see if you can see the lock pin that is activated by the button you push. See if it moves when you press on the button? I'm assuming it does since it locks in park. But want to verify.
Also is it all brake lights that don't work?
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes the lock pin moves when I press on the button on the gear stick. The groove for park is deeper than the other gear grooves under the gear shift so the lock pin stays in park unless I press the button. The other grooves for drive etc. under the gear shift aren't as deep as the park groove so the pin just moves freely between them.
Expert:  s.c.2 replied 7 months ago.
So unfortunately I'm not sure what the cause is. I can have you test a few things but not sure it would do any good. I'll tell you what I will opt out and see if anyone else can help. If no one does and you want me to step back in and have you try a few things just reply and the system will send it to me and I will see what I can do.
Thanks
Sonny
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds as if you have a linkage issue. The trans is in park yet the shifter moves freely with no resistance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your time on this issue. I found the information very helpful.
Kind Regards
Leigh
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need any more help!