Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson
65405794

Key fob stuck JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can

Customer Question

Key fob stuck
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Key fob will not come out. Care will not start or even come on wheni push the start button
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Ues
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: Yes
JA: What else should I tell the Volvo Mechanic?
Customer: That's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** is they year and model of your car? Is the battery fully charged and has it been tested with a digital tester for a possible faulty battery in the car and the key fob as well. Let me know
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2010 s80 car battery is good. I am not sure about fob.
thanks for the update. Try a new battery in your fob and if there is still a problem the dealer programming software will be needed to program your fob. Click these links. Let me knowFob programmingFob battery replacement
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I cannot get fob out of ignition
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's what I need to know is how to get it out?
Try a booster pack on the battery to increase the voltage as a weak or low battery or other short in the system causing a draw has been known to case this to happen and not allow the key to release.
boost the power from the battery and be sure the current battery is the recommended battery from Volvo. These cars are picky about having the correct battery to handle all the system modules and electronics. Some of the aftermarket batteries have also been known to cause problems. Be sure to have yours tested with a digital tester to be sure it is putting out the proper CCA and has no internal problems. Check for shorts in the starting ang main ignition circuit as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We tried it. With no luck. Still stuck.
Thanks for the update. Is it showing that the transmission is in park on the display? If the computer is not seeing the transmission is in park it will not release the key.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It shows in park on dash.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If u remove battery cable and hook them back up it will start. Otherwise it will not
That unfortunately means the dealer will have to plug into the car with the diagnostic software and likely run an update on the software to correct this and do further diagnosis if needed.
Hi Sue, Just following up to see if you got this resolved or still needed more help with this? Please remember to rate my service as that is how the experts get credit for their time helping on the site.