Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician
61695331

Volvo s60: im getting ecm-8010, ecm 720a on my 02 s60 am I

Customer Question

im getting ecm-8010, ecm 720a on my 02 s60 am I thinking correctly that the alternator is bad
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!I am a factory Volvo master technician and will be happy to assist you with your concern. Just so i can look up the correct information for your vehicle, is your car a 2016, or 2002?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2002 s60
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ecm-8010 bat voltage, faulty signal & ecm 720a immbolizer comm.
Thanks is this the turbo engine? You can ignore the 720a code for this concern, this is a code for the theft system. if the fault was current your engine would not turn over. This code has likely set due to low battery voltage. give me a few minutes to look up for information about the battery voltage code.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes turbo. I figure it was a false code do to the fact that the car still starts. Thanks
A ecm-8010 is stored if the voltage from the system relay exceeds 16.5 volts, or under 9volts low signal. The most likely cause is a fault alternator. Do you have a volt meter to measure voltage while the engine is running. Normal charging system voltage is 13.5 volts to 14.5volts
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there a intermittent relay in the s60? I had an issue with my 545i that was fixed when I replace the relay to the alternator, after a laundry list of parts prior to the 13 dollar replay
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I do that's what I was suspecting. I'll check the voltage thanks any idea on the relay?
Not for the charging system. The Central Electronics Module controls the charging circuit in this vehicle. The Alternator is internally regulated and the central electronic module will command the alternators charging voltages based on the demand from the system.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea I figure thought I'd take a shot in the dark, cause of my findings on the e60 BMW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks I'll be back if it turns up neg on the alt.
Sounds great! If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated so i can receive credit, i will continue to work with you even after rated. I get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.Derek W
.
Hello again, I am checking back in, have i answered all of your questions? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do. Thank you for using our site.