Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

I have a 2000 s70. Was changing the ignition switch. I removed

Customer Question

I have a 2000 s70. Was changing the ignition switch. I removed the old one, realized I bought the wrong replacement part. Replaced the old part now the key slot will not accept the key.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2000 s70. Was changing the ignition switch. I removed the old one, realized I bought the wrong replacement part. Replaced the old part now the key slot will not accept the key.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing else. I didn't want to mess anything up.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: When I removed the old ignition switch assembly, the whole thing came apart so I looked up a diagram of it and put it back together.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 12 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. So you just replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch correct? not the lock cylinder? just the part that plugs into the wiring harness on the opposite site of where the key goes in correct?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Correct but I had to reinstall the original part because I bought the wrong replacement part.
Expert:  Edward replied 12 months ago.
Alright, what if you pull the two screws out and take the ignition switch off, does the key work like it should then?
Expert:  Edward replied 12 months ago.
I'm just wondering if the switch is jamming it up.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I just plugged the battery back in and the car was trying to start without the key.
Expert:  Edward replied 12 months ago.
That switch is messed up then. If it fell apart, and you put it back together, the orientation of how it goes back together I think might be off. I would put a new switch in it and I feel confident that will fix it, if the key works like it should with the switch completely off, then nothing is wrong with the ignition lock cylinder.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I took it off and the key went in. Thanks Edward!
Expert:  Edward replied 12 months ago.
Absolutely, Thank you. Don't forget to make sure when you put the new switch on, to position it fully on the dowel that it fits in, then it should sit down flush on the steering column, then tighten up the two bolts.
Expert:  Edward replied 12 months ago.
Let me know if you have any further questions. and if your all set, please rate the question positive if you feel I've helped. Thank you!