Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech
7276279

Had a fuel leak because of a broken retainer ring on the fuel

Customer Question

had a fuel leak because of a broken retainer ring on the fuel pump(according to the repair shop) they replaced the ring and now my fuel guage is showing only a half tank of gas. suggestions?
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The fuel leak has been fixed, but when I filled the tank, the guage only shows half a tank.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: possibly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Volvo Mechanic should know about your Volvo?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,The fuel pump/sender assembly would have had to been remover from the tank to make this repair. I would suspect during the reassembly there was something messed up with the position of the fuel pump assembly. I would suggest you take it back the shop that made the repair and have then recheck the install of the pump, I suspect the pump is not positioned correctly and the float is hitting something in the tank.