Enes
Enes, VOLVO Master Technician
Experience:  15+YEARS WITH VOLVO AS THE MASTER VOLVO MECHANIC&Ase
20168386

Volvo V70 2.4: . Here's the story: just purchased project

Customer Question

Hi. Here's the story: just purchased project 2002 volvo V70 fwd. Car wont start due to broken key, previous owner broke the key and lost black part of it, which I understand contains immobiliser chip? I just sourced used half column, complete with ign switch, cylinder, imm antena and a matching key. Question is, will replacing those parts solve the problem and vehicle would start? If not, would replacing immobiliser control module(from the same donor vehicle) along with above parts , would?
Thanks in advance
Ps: if it matters, on this vehicle, key and remote fob are separete. Remote fob functions properly
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Philip replied 7 months ago.
unfortunatly it will not work, the CEM (main electrical computer) hold the pin codes for the keys and it cannot be swapped from vehicle to vehicle. so by changing the column parts will fix the key turning situation it still will not start. you will need new keys to be programmed to the CEM, the old keys will be useless. a dealer visit will be needed