Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Volvo XC90: Our Parking brake won't release and the car won't

Customer Question

Our Parking brake won't release and the car won't start. We were told to unhook the battery but can't find the front battery.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. Does the vehicle have power? headlights and other electrical functions work?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes power electrical functions
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, if the power functions work, then I do not believe the battery needs to be disconnected. Are you getting any messages saying START PREVENTED? or any other messages in the instrument cluster when you attempt to start it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, it says parking brake service required on ipad.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright I follow you, This 2016 xc90 is equipped with two batteries. One is the START battery or main power battery in the back cargo area. The other is a support battery located in the engine compartment on the drivers side somewhat near the windshield. If you wanted to disconnect a negative cable to try that, the START battery is the one I would disconnect, and I would only disconnect the negative cable. What is the approximate mileage on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5,000 miles
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Alright, yes I believe the caliper could have acted up or something electrical possibly, but it's hard to say. I would call 24 hour Volvo roadside assistance at this point if you need the vehicle moved from where it is now. And call your closest Volvo dealer in the morning as this repair will be under warranty. 1-***-***-**** That is the number and they may send a tech out right now to repair it. I would go ahead and call this one in.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok Thanks.
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Absolutely, Thank you.