Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Volvo Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist, Volvo Master Technician

I'm looking to downgrade from xenon assemblies in a 2003 xc70,

Customer Question

I'm looking to downgrade from xenon assemblies in a 2003 xc70, and replace them with halogen assemblies. I have two new halogen assemblies, and I plan to remove the xenon assemblies completely and replace them with halogen assemblies
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Volvo. The Volvo Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just research on the issue, without any definite answers.
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer! I am a master certified Volvo technician. I will be happy to assist you with your question. Just so you know this is not a very common procedure so i will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible help that i can. Do you need information on how to wire up the Halogen assemblies, installing them, or both?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok no problem i am looking up information about your vehicle now.
Here is the wiring diagrams for the headlamps.
headlamp removal procedure.
did you buy a aftermarket headlamp assembly to install?why do you want to remove the bi zenon headlights? If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated, i will continue to work with you even after rated. I will get emails about any other questions you may have. I only strive for excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer. William
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will the factory HID wiring harness be a plug and play application? I assume that the ECU will have to have some changes
The HID to halogen will not be a plug and play. And yes the central electronic module will need to be re flashed. You will have messages displayed on your dash about bulb failures and loss of communication. With the factory HIDS there is a module inside the light assembly's that the central electronics module communicates to. This is not present in the standard halogen setup.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I am going from a bi xenon system to HID
Oh you are talking about a aftermarket HID system? Some pictures would help of your setup so i have a better idea of what you are working with. If it is a aftermarket HID system you are trying to install then modification will be required.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a picture of stock headlight assembly
Just curious are you having a problem with the current HID's that are installed from the factory with your vehicle? I was hoping to have a picture of the aftermarket headlight Assembly you are trying to install.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i am going to opt out of this question, another expert may have more information for you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Am I going to someone new to talk to?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.