Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine

Volvo Cross Country: I have a 2002 Volvo with a rebuilt transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Volvo with a rebuilt transmission from 30,000 miles ago. It is starting to have problems going into 1st and 4th gears. We bought this car used for $1700. After selling our totaled BMW for $800. We only have $900 invested. The car has been very well maintained by the original owners. Everything was replaced before we bought it so the car is in excellent condition other than the transmission issue. The car has almost 200,00 miles on it. Will it be worth it to replace the transmission with another rebuilt and hope it lasts another 3 to 5 years or just get rid of the car.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Volvo.The major concern I have is this- "and hope it lasts another 3 to 5 years"To be honest, no matter how well a vehicle is maintained, things just break due to wear and tear. This vehicle is nearing 200,000 miles and this is about the time when other major components like the a/c system or head-gaskets fail.If you are prepared to put more money into it in the next 3-5 years due to just age and wear and tear, then yes go ahead and keep it but if you aren't, then go ahead and cut potential losses now while it still has some good value.You could even donate it to a charity and write off the full value on you taxes as well as help a good cause.If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Were you able to see my last response?