Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

Volvo 850: My 97(850)vovle has 2 bad cinglers can it be fix

Customer Question

My 97(850)vovle has 2 bad cinglers can it be fix are do I need a new motor
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry you are having trouble with your Volvo. Can you give me a little more info on your problem. Why do you say it has 2 bad cylinders?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Cause I took my vovle to mechanic shop and had them do a dienostice test and they told me I got 5 cy# ***** only 3 is working. My number 2 and 3 cy# ***** ***** no pressure...
I'm sorry to hear that. While there is a number of reasons that can cause that, all of them are major work with the very least amount of work being the head has to come off. To diagnose it properly it needs either a boro scope put down in the cylinder or the head taken off. It could be a burnt or bent valve or it could be major bottom end problems. While it all can be fixed, none of the solutions are cheap. Did they say if they knew the exact cause of the low or no compression?
if I have been of help please rate my help if I can be of more assistance please let me know. Thanks Sonny
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So is it best. For me to get a new engine
With out knowing the cause of the low compression I can't say one way or another. But here is what I tell my customers: if it's caused by the upper end (head or valves) then it is usually cheaper to fix existing motor. However if it's the lower end it may be cheaper to replace it with a good used one or a rebuilt one. If you want a long warranty then it may be better off replacing it with one that has a good warrenty. If your looking for cheap then it would be worth finding out a little more of what is causing the low compression. May I ask what led up to this problem? Did it just all of a sudden happen or did it overheat then happen? Or was it gradually getting worse till it barely drove or wouldn't start altogether?
was this helpful to you? if so please rate my service but of course if I can be of further assistance with this problem please let me know. Thanks Sonny
Is there anything else I can answer or help you with on this problem? If not and I was helpful please give me a positive review, I don't get paid unless you you do. But again if there is anything else with this question that I can help with don't hesitate to ask.
Have you been able to get more information on what is causing the low compression?