Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

We have a volvo xc 70. The charge failure, service urgent light

Customer Question

We have a volvo xc 70. The charge failure, service urgent light came on. Took car yo autozone, and battery and alternator test fine. Voltage regulator is at 13.9. We are making a long trip home tomorrow from vacation. Will car be ok to drive?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Lighy comes on and off. Doesny stay on consistently
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. If the vehicle is charging at 13.9, then what has happened, is the portion of the voltage regulator that sends a signal to the instrument cluster to let you know of a problem, has actually failed, It's alerting you to a false problem if your getting 13.9 volts while running. I would drive the vehicle and as long as it's charging 13.9 I would not worry too much about the service urgent message. The voltage regulator is the issue but the alternator is technically charging and I would drive it if it were mine. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.