Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

2001 volvo s40 , verhicle seems to run fine, light on the dash

Customer Question

2001 volvo s40 , verhicle seems to run fine, light on the dash advise to stop safely brake failure . the abs,traction control, and check engine lights are all on. the speedometer works but the odometer does not. i suspect the cem . Do they have to be programmed specifically to the vehicle or can i swap with another car with the same options ?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.There is no software that is needed for this control module (CEM), but depending on vehicle configuration some parameters may need to be changed. That being said before you replace anything do you know the fault codes that should be setting when the ABS, Traction and check engine lights are coming on? In most cases if the speedometer works and the odometer dose not then that usually means the problem with it is a failing speedometer assembly. Lets get the fault codes and we can work from there before you replace any thing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have hooked it up to my personal code reader and also went by the local autozone to have them try but no fault codes are present .
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
In order to retrieve ABS and traction control code you are going to need a Volvo compatible scan tool. A code reader will not work for retrieving these codes. If the lights are coming on then there has to be fault codes.