Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am reinstalling the intake manifold on a VolvoXC90 6 cyl. There is a hose connection on the top of the intake manifold. It looks like 10 cm. I can not find a hose for this fitting. What does it supply vacuum to? If the hose is just missing I can replace it if I knew where it went.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is the copper colored barb/nipple in the pic.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.If you can tell me what year your XC90 is I will have a look at the diagrams and see if I can help you find the hose that fits the port on your intake. Post back when you can with the year and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2003 Volvo XC90 dual turbo 2.9. The vacuum line that attaches on the top of the intake manifold on the hump directly over the throttle body. What does it go to?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Such a simple question. I am a retired mechanic. A little embarrassing.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.
Hose that connects to this port comes from under the intake, Volvo also has a service bulletin for the steps to replace this hose. See the bulletin in the links below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Hose%20Intake%20Apr%2019.pdfIi have also enclosed the intake removal steps in the link, it will show you the hose as well.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Intake%20Manifold%20APr%2019.pdf
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
None of that answers the question. Where does it go? other than "under the manifold"? The other stuff all goes to the banjo bolt under the manifold. This does not appear to be part of the PCV system, which seems to get Vacuum from the banjo bolt.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.
If you look at the service bulletin in shows you where it comes from as well as where it connects to the port you are showing in your diagram.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NOT IT. The PDF docs show the nipple on the top but the hoses described go to the banjo bolt which is also shown. Where does the other end of the hose/tubing/line attach? The nipple shown is associated with the banjo bolt and it makes no sense to attach a hose from the top of the manifold to the bottom.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.
Okay unfortunately thats all the information I have on this one, I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has what your needing. If they can help they will post back right away.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All the pictures show the hose from the top nipple disappearing between the intake manifold and the engine going where?By the way the three vacuum hoses that attach to the banjo bolt on the bottom of the manifold are all accounted for, the vacuum hose from the top of the manifold is not one of them.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to help with your question today. The hose that goes to that vacuum port goes to a little black vacuum check valve located near the starter motor under the intake.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, the check valve is a greyish white on the T6. I'll try to take a picture of one at work if you are unable to locate it. Let me know if you find it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I can get to it in a little while, do you know what the check valve supplies with vacuum?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see two check valves; the smallest line attached to the banjo bolt and also the line attached to the end of the manifold. I will look harder this afternoon Mountain time.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.
If you could attach a picture of the area above the starter, I could edit the image to point out what you're looking for. Unfortunately we don't have a T6 on the lot right now.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here are some pictures. You have to be familiar with the engine to make out anything.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Andy,
If you could tell me where the hose goes, I can supply the hose and check valve.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still in a quandary and we have a road trip. The old truck will have to do the miles. Volvo question still not really answered yet but I have faith. It may be a few days before I can check in.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry, there was a site issue preventing me from being able to read replies. It seems to be back to normal now. I looked at the images, and I don't see the connection. We still do not have a T6 on the lot for me to take some pictures of but I will keep checking daily.
Expert:  Andy replied 10 months ago.
I found a picture elsewhere on the net that may help. I also edited one of yours that I believe shows part of the hose. Click here for the edited version of your picture. Note the red arrow on the right side of the picture. Click here for the picture I found on the web. The red arrow shows the hose going to the check valve. The check valve is indicated by the yellow arrow.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never got an answer to where it goes. The pictures did not help me.
Expert:  Andy replied 9 months ago.
There is a red arrow on your picture pointing to the hose. It tees in from the purge valve
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That line gets vacuum from the banjo bolt in my T6
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is a 10 mm barb and the line in the picture is smaller
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there no diagram of all the vacuum lines in this Volvo? Seems there are separate diagrams for PCV, and Turbo stuff but no interconnections and several check valves. There are 5 vacuum connections on the intake manifold and some of them split off to make more vacuum lines. Surely there is a diagram somewhere.