Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Volvo C70: I have an 04 c70 that has a leaking pan gasket.

Customer Question

I have an 04 c70 that has a leaking pan gasket. My neighbor the Toyota mechanic told me to check and add fluid I had to remove the 24mm plug on the transaxle on top of the drivers side. The plug would come loose but not out. Now it only has 1st and 2nd gear. What happened?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 6 months ago.
uh oh,That was a pin for the shift fork and now it wont go back in place without opening up the transmission or have a tranny shop see if they can maneuver it around to go back in place. whatever you do, dont force it.sorry this happened.any other questions just let me know.LJ
Expert:  Andy replied 6 months ago.
That is not a pin for a shift fork. It is the anchor bolt for the band for 3rd gear. When the bolt is removed, it disengages 3rd gear, requiring transmission replacement unless you can figure out a way to move the band back, hold it in place and reinstall the bolt. Volvo has a bulletin about this. Fluid should be checked and filled through the dipstick tube only on that transmission