Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo S70: working on 2012 Volvo s70 t5. Timing belt

Customer Question

Hello working on 2012 Volvo s70 t5. Timing belt cam seals. They are leaking really bad. Well I put every mark in time before removing belt. The problem is the cams came of and spin freely in order to replace cam seals. I have tool for older Volvo cars to hold back side. New models don't have the same slot. How do you set the cams to vet pulley with no slot.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I was able to locate the 2.5 liter turbo on this model here.If this is not the engine you have let me know. There is a special tool to turn and hold the crank.Below are the position of the timing marks for this model here.If you need more info let me know. https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4vjo4ymd0r85g6/t-04-16.gif?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb4d7we4bp7ojfy/ti-04-16.gif?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq830fc68yj0e6p/tim-04-16.gif?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/rp0lf9wnewm769l/timi-04-16.gif?dl=0 If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have all data, Mitchell and Identafix I know we're marks are. I did the cam seals so I removed the vvt sprocket from cam. This year model doese not have the notches in the back of cam.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 7 months ago.
Accessing the Belts (0:46)Removing the two T30 Torx bolts from the cam coverRemove the cam coverClip the wire tiePry up the power steering bottle with a flat blade screwdriverPull the power steering hose out of its clipRemoving the Serpentine Belt (1:23)Push the serpentine belt tensioner forward with a 14mm socket and ratchetPull the belt offRelease the tensionerPull the belt out of the engine compartmentRemoving the Timing Cover (2:10)Remove the 10mm bolt from the timing coverPull the timing cover up and outRemoving the Wheel (2:33)Loosen the 19mm lug nuts with the vehicle on the groundRaise the vehicle with a floor jackSecure the vehicle on jack standsRemove the lug nutsPull off the wheelRemoving the Crank Panel (2:52)Remove the two 10mm bolts inside the inner fenderRemove the fender panelPull back the inner fenderClamp the inner fender in place with vise grip pliersRemove the two 10mm bolts from the crank panelPull the crank panel down and outSetting the Timing (3:45)Put the cam cover back onMark the cam timing marks with a markerTurn the crank pulley with a 30mm socket and ratchetTurn the crank pulley until the marks on the cam line up with the notches on the cam coverThe marked teeth on the crankshaft should also line up with a post on the engine blockRemoving the Timing Belt and Tensioner (6:08)Check the position of the timing belt tensionerLoosen the 10mm bolt in the timing belt tensionerSlacken the timing belt tensioner by pulling it forward with a 6mm Allen wrenchRemove the cam coverPull off the timing beltRemove the 10mm bolt from the timing belt tensionerRemove the timing belt tensionerPull the timing belt partially out through the wheel wellClip the old timing belt with wire cuttersPull the timing belt all the way outRemoving the Idler Pulley (8:49)Remove two 12mm bolts from the idler pulleyPull the idler pulley off and outInstalling the New Idler Pulley (9:11)Put the new idler pulley into placeInsert the two 12mm bolts into the idler pulleyInstalling the New Timing Belt and Tensioner (9:39)Put the timing belt tensioner into place using the locating tabsPreliminarily tighten the 10mm bolt in the timing belt tensionerLoop the new timing belt around the crank pulleyWedge a screwdriver between the belt and a post in the engine block to hold the belt in placeLoop the timing belt around the cam pulleysPut the timing cover into placeMake sure the cam timing marks line up with the cover notchesPush the timing belt tensioner to the correct position with a 6mm Allen wrenchHolding the timing belt tensioner in position with the Allen wrench, tighten the 12mm boltChecking the Timing (12:27)Turn the crank pulley with a 30mm socket and ratchetCheck that the marks on the cam line up with the notches on the cam coverThe marked teeth on the crankshaft should also line up with a post on the engine blockReinstalling the Crank Panel (12:53)Pull the crank panel into placeInsert the two 10mm bolts into the crank panelUnclamp the inner fenderPush the inner fender down into placePut the fender panel into placeInsert the two 10mm bolts into the fenderReattaching the Wheel (13:42)Slide the wheel into placeStart the lug nuts by handTighten the lug nuts preliminarilyLower the vehicle to the groundTighten the lug nuts to 100 foot-pounds in a crossing or star patternReinstalling the Timing Covers (13:55)Push the cam cover backPush the timing cover into place using the locating tabsPut the cam cover into placeInsert the 10mm bolt into the timing coverReinstalling the Serpentine Belt (14:54)Familiarize yourself with the serpentine belt routing diagramLoop the serpentine belt around the crank pulleyRoute the serpentine belt around the other pulleysCheck that the belt is routed correctlyReinstalling the Power Steering Bottle (15:24)Push the power steering bottle into place using the tabsPush the power steering hose into its clampInsert the two T30 bolts into the cam cover
My name is ***** ***** on this link for the procedure.2.4 timing belt
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know how to time the car. I need to know how to time the cam pullies to cam itself. Older models have tool for the back of cams which I have . 2012 Volvo s70 t5 turbo doese not have the groove on the rear of cams. Wondering how to set up cam to vvt pully. I'm close cause it will start but no throttle response.
Thanks for the update George. I have the timing tools as well that line up with the horizontal grooves to hold the cams. there is no bolt holes center of the cams on any notches?
Lock the cams in place and make sure the crank shaft marks are correct. Line up the intake cam to the timing cover, then rotate the CVVT hub clockwise to see where your current timing marks align. This will tell you how far forward/back you need to adjust the hub. Remove the center bolt and rotate the hub as necessary. You'll probably have to do this a few times, but you'll get there. Don't worry about the three bolts that secure the hub to the gear, not necessary to remove those. Snug down the bolt and rotate the hub to see where the marks land, if they are off, back it off and try again. When you get the timing marks to match the cover when the hub is rotated fully clockwise, go ahead and make your final torque on the center bolt. Install the cap, and proceed to install the timing belt, of course making sure to rotate the hub to it's end position when installing the belt. All of the marks should be lined up at that point.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So you have done one like this that don't have the alighnment marks for that special tool? Just weird that the new models don't . Like I said I replaced cam seals thinking the tool would work. Cam to vvt relation is the issue. Both intake and exhaust cam gear just have a torx bolt in the center. It doese not have 3 bolts on cam gear just the vvt gear for adjustment. The cam gears just spin if loose so I lost cam to gear relation . hard to see were cam should be . Hard to tell were cam should be to set timing.
Hi George, Everything I am pulling up still shows to lock the cams with the holding tool and i know what you are referring to but like you I have not run into this one unfortunately but nothing in my research shows the procedure to be any different. Are your pulleys marked on the front? It is odd that they eliminated the notches at the rear of the cam. You do have the threaded bolt holes there still correct? When you installed the belt/ lined your marks did the VVT gear ***** *****ne up when rotated and held in place or was it off a tooth?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I put all marks in place when doing belt so I know I'm close. I did nothing to vvt pully do I still have to turn it? It's really odd so no you have not done a 2012. Yea ther is not much info on this model. Yea it's got two vvt cam and exhaust. Do I have to set them up if I did not loser them.? I'll be messing with it at work. Wish me luck. If you get any info email me if you can find info on set up you will be teen care of thanks.
ill look more into this during the day tomorrow and let you know if i find out more info.
I found some T5 info that might be helpfulT5 timing
Expert:  Andy replied 7 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. Can you provide the VIN? There is no 2012 S70. The S70 was not made after 2000.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Flooding in Texas did not go to work. Do it first thing in morning. I'll send vin#
Hi George, Keep me posted and let me know when you are able to get back to this.
Expert:  Andy replied 7 months ago.
Hi George, Just checking in to see if you had a chance to get the VIN. If not, take your time. I see the flooding is pretty bad so stay safe.