Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a Automotive tech

Volvo V70 X/C AWD: Sometimes when I start my car the directional

Customer Question

Sometimes when I start my car the directional lights don't work. If I stop and turn the car off And turn the car back on they work fine?
No 2. After I put gas in the car it has a hard time starting. I have to turn the starter and flood the engine and eventually it roars to life?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The most common cause for a hard start after fueling is in most cases caused by a leaking Canister Purge Valve. Once the the key off it should not leak. It if does, fuel vapors during filling will fill the manifold and cause a rich condition during starting and this can cause a hard start concern.On the turn signal issue , try wiggling the key after starting to attempt to get the ignition switch contacts to work again. If the turn signal work by doing this, it has a bad ignition switch.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just to be clear. On directionals, the car starts and runs normally then I get to a turn and realize that the signal won't come on. That is connected to the ignition?Also where is the canister purge valve?Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
It may very well be if you can turn the car off and restart it and they then work, the next time it occurs try my suggestion. The purge valve is located on the top left of the radiator on the bracket on fan shroud.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have checked out the parts and the price is reasonable. Are the man hours predictable?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
All labor operations are preset, are you just going the have the purge valve replaced?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That would be the fantasy. But since none of my local mechanics of been able to figure this out I probably need to go pro. And so i am sure they will find more
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
I would start with the known issue and that would be to replace the Canister Purge Valve, its the most common cause of the type of problem you are having.