Enes, VOLVO Master Technician

My wife's 99 Volvo s70 t5 just had the head rebuilt. She just

Customer Question

my wife's 99 Volvo s70 t5 just had the head rebuilt. She just got it back, and was driving on the freeway to work at about 60mph, and all of the sudden, she starts losing acceleration. She pulled over (obviously) and could not get the car to restart. Said it was running perfect until suddenly, it wouldn't. Where would you suggest I start?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Nope, I wasn't with her when it happened. AAA just dropped them off. She just told me that it sounds like it wants to start, just seems starved for fuel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Volvo Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wanted to add, the car was running perfectly for about 10 miles at freeway speed, when she lost acceleration.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. If it cranks normally, but doesn't start, it may have lost spark, or lost fuel pressure. Can you spray some starting fluid directly into the air intake, and see if it will run briefly then? Easiest to do when someones in the car cranking it while you spray some directly into the air intake, if it will run then briefly, we know if has spark and mechanically the engine is ok. Also, do you have a code reader by chance? I would check for any trouble codes stored. let us know what happens there. thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do have a code reader, and it came up with a fault code P0014. I was just reading something about a cvvt solenoid? Could they have damaged it somehow? And why would the car run perfectly yesterday, and not today?!
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
yes , it's a CVVT code, does it sound like it cranks normally? or does it sound like it spins really fast?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
camshaft variable valve timing. Is what it stands for.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sounds like it cranked normally to me.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, if it cranks normally, I'd see if it could run on starter fluid sprayed directly into the air box. If it will run on starting fluid just briefly, we will know it has spark, and the engine is mechanically sound. Or if you have a fuel pressure gauge, I would start there.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
What happened? any luck getting it running? Tell me some good news!