sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Volvo Vnl 670: Pressure gauge on a Volo 670 D13 reading 110

Customer Question

Pressure gauge on a Volo 670 D13 reading 110 psi. Just noticed it about 50 miles ago. About two weeks ago, replaced the oil sensor because it was reading low pressure and turning off the truck. What could it be? Is it safe to drive? I have about 750 miles to go.
Category: Volvo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I stop driving or is this something manageable?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Most likely the gauge is incorrect and pressure isn't actually that high, in which case it would be fine to drive except for the fact that if you lost pressure you wouldn't really know it. If pressure is abnormally high and especially if it isn't fluctuating with engine RPM that either indicates an issue with the oil sender or possibly a short to ground on it's signal circuit. If the gauge stays high even with the engine off then you know for sure it's an electrical issue rather than pressure actually being high.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The gauge stays high at 60 with the engine off even with a 10 hr reset. The truck was giving me a headlamp open circuit warning and it just came out of the dealer. I would assume they checked all gauges and that this issue is as of yesterday when I picked up the truck. The oil pressure sensor was changed two weeks ago. Is it somewhat safe to drive 800 miles to my mechanic? I don't want to get murdered on the road by dealers and mechanics.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another thing, I drive mostly with cruise control. Haven't noticed spikes or varience in rpm.
If the gauge isn't at zero with the engine off then the problem is without a doubt the sender or it's wiring. If it's at 60 PSI with the engine off and 110 with the engine running then I'd be inclined to say it is skewed and you're probably around 50 PSI running.Obviously there is a chance that you'd lose oil pressure (hole in the oil pan from road debris, etc) and not know if it the gauge isn't correct, but there is little chance you'll get into trouble if you continue to drive it until you can get it repaired.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your help buddy. I'm going to wait it out until monday to change the sensor.
You're welcome and good luck with it!