Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1
3932822

Volvo XC90 2.5T: I have a xc90 Volvo 2.5LT. I lost my first

Customer Question

I have a xc90 Volvo 2.5LT. I lost my first engine due to "no oil" which was maintained by the very same dealer that ended up replacing it. Now, I am losing oil again at a rate of 1/2 qt a month. I have no leaks, as before, all "components" have been checked and re-checked, no leaks anywhere. Where is the oil going? Turbo seal leak? I can not see any smoke out the tail pipe? Please help me. Thanks.
Steve
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 8 months ago.
Hi Steve, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. When the engine was replaced, was it replaced with a new one? And the PCV has been replaced on this current engine, correct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
engine replaced new, pcv new.
Expert:  Andy replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. If there are no external leaks, then there are really only a couple places for oil to go. One of which is indeed the turbocharger. This can sometimes be hard to detect. The intake pipe going to the turbo can be removed and checked for excessive oil. The same goes for the charge air pipe coming from the turbo. The other possibility is oil is being burned in the engine. This can be from leaking valve stem seals or worn piston rings or cylinder walls. You can remove the intake to visually check the intake valves to see if one (or more) appear to be leaking. You can perform a cylinder leakage test to check the rings/walls. Given the fact the engine only has about 55,000 miles and the PCV is new but the turbo is original, I would bet the turbo is at fault here. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please select a rating at the top of your screen so that I may be credited for helping. You can always follow up at any time. Thank you!