Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

Volvo XC90 2.5T: I need help help with a parking brake problem

Customer Question

I need help help with a parking brake problem on a 2003 xc90. It is not one I have worked on before, as it does not have an adjustment mechanism on the cable in the passenger footwell. It appears it is all done from the pedal. I have replaced handbrake shoes and 2 cables. The third cable to the pedal feels very smooth so didn't change that.
I have a very stiff pedal and struggle to get 4 to 5 clicks, but the car just rolls on, very little braking affect.
Any suggestions?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Andy replied 6 months ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. I am going to try to help with your question today. If there is no adjustment in the cable alongside the center console, this system is self adjusting at the pedal. If you'd like, I can upload the procedure for this.
Expert:  Andy replied 6 months ago.
Click here for the procedure for resetting the pedal. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please select a rating at the top of your screen for my service. Thank you!
Expert:  Andy replied 6 months ago.
Did you have any other questions?