Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

My Volvo 940 my key won't come out and my shifter is stuck

Customer Question

My Volvo 940 my key won't come out and my shifter is stuck in park.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: Not to old.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: It runs great I love my Volvo!
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Volvo Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. do you see a small button at the bottom of the shifter assembly that says "shift lock override" by chance?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It dosent help
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, Do you have the console out yet? That is going to be the next step. probably the interlock linkage is jammed up in there. and needs to be cleaned and lubricated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No not yet. What do you think the isssue is? My key is stuck and my shifter won't allow me to do anything
It's stuck and I also have a cable hanging under the car
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Your transmission linkage isn't a cable on that car, it's a metal rod, so I don't believe that cable has anything to do with this problem. Do the brake lights work? Brake light circuit sends signal to the interlock solenoid to allow it to come out of park.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh ok. Yes my brake lights work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think my shifter needs relpaced
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, make sure the button releases fully. and if it does, the worm gear inside it probably is broken. You can pull the console and get it out of park, but the shifter assembly may need to be repaired or replaced to fix it permanently. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm thinking the same thing Edward. It may need replacing but I don't know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Why won't my key come out
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
There is a cable between the shifter and the ignition lock cylinder. My thoughts are since the shifter is jammed, it is not releasing the cable enough for you to get your key out. I would pull the console and take a look. I believe those two problems are related.