Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.

My 2014 XC90 has a squeak my mechanic told me I have to "live"

Customer Question

My 2014 XC90 has a squeak my mechanic told me I have to "live" with it because it is a 'check pressure valve'--the squeak is not intermittent it is fairly consistent. DOES THAT SEEM ANYWHERE NEAR TRUE??
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Volvo factory warranty is 4 year 50,000 miles on that one, and that is everything including squeaks. How many miles are on it now? and if it's under 50K, did you get the dealer to look at it yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Close 34,000 miles. It's the dealer telling me...sorry. I just purchased the car 2/29
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, I follow you now. So they have acknowledged that the squeak is there and they have heard exactly what you are describing? Did you go for a ride with the tech or service writer by chance and point out exactly the noise your hearing? Reason why I say this , is that it is hard to know exactly what the customer is hearing, I have fixed one noise before, that I heard and thought that was what the customer was hearing, only to find out later, they weren't even talking about that noise! So, it's important to make sure they know exactly which noise your referring to at the dealer.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
And if the noise is "normal" then another 2014 xc90 should do it as well, so I would request keys to a 2014 xc90 identical to yours, and then you can go test drive it and see if it does it. I know that may sound a bit extreme, but that is really the only way to find out if indeed it is a characteristic of the 2014 XC90, or if yours is abnormal. Do you hear this noise sitting at a light? or going which speed? and is it on bumpy roads or smooth surfaces?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes the tech went for a ride with me. He heard what I was the just live with it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear driving and coasting and could be straight or turning
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, I do know from experience, I believe I would ask two things from this selling dealer. 1. You want to see if another 2014 XC90 does it, so I would get the keys. and 2. Ask them if there is any foam rubber, or insulating type, or zip ties, or anything they can do to wrap up to muffle or isolate the culprit that is making the noise. If they can't do that, then you may want to (if convenient) see if another dealer has a solution. Know that every technician at every dealer is different. and What one person may not have a solution for, another one might. I would have to hear it myself to know exactly what it is. But usually I have been able to insulate, or strap up with zip ties something that is squeaking. You may want to get the service manager involved as well if it's something that is so annoying it's driving you crazy. Let the service manager get involved, and then usually you get the best tech in the shop to diagnose the issue. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Absolutely, Thank you!