Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing

JA: . What seems to be the problem? Customer: ive

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: ive had my XC 60 for about a month, but over the last couple of days when I go to move forward and select Drive it makes quite a violent jerk before accellerating away.If i have been in traffic with my foot on the brake, as soon as I put it into neutral, then drive it sort of clunks before moving off
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes, I apply the electronic handbrake and put the vehicle in neutral or park but when i come to drive away in Drive it clunks to the extent it makes you jump
JA: Anything else I can tell the Volvo Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: no i think thats the gist of it
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello 1st check for worn mountings - check the tightness of the engine and gearbox mounts and their condition - this is best done by using a jack to take the weight of the engine off the mounts and seeing if any cracks or splits open up in the rubber.Also check the tightness of the mounts boltsif this is OK then check that the propshaft for a worn joint or the centre bearing is worn or its out of balance you can easily check for for any slack in the propshaft joints by twisting either half by hand and feeling for any play as there should be virtually none the centre bearing is quite loosely mounted so this can be moved normally but if you can run the car in gear with the wheels off the ground and then feel the centre bearing housing for vibration if there's any then consider replacing the unit
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you