Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I've had 10 years of experience on the car line at 2 Volvo dealerships, Quality level Volvo tech.
29534642

Power system service urgent came on after the batter died

Customer Question

Hi power system service urgent came on after the batter died got a new battery and check the altnator it was at 13.32 volts after starting so it looks good so what's up
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Yes it runs and starts fine
JA: Glad to hear that. How old is the battery?
Customer: It was 4 years old . I ran out and put a new one in but the trouble won't clear it has a dd30 code
JA: Anything else I can tell the Volvo Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Hello Clark, What year and model Volvo are you working on?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2005 s60 awd turbo 2.5L
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, 13.3 is a little low, these usually run around 14.5 . Does it ever go higher than 13.3?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
13.36 @ ruffle 1500 rpm 13.22 with a load on it
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, How many miles on it roughly? is this the factory alternator? it sounds like it's charging some. With engine off, whats the battery read 12.5 ish?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
153,304.0 yes factory alternator and the new battery in off is 12.29 volts
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Here is the charging system wiring diagram. The alternator gets it's signal from the CEM. (Central Electric Module)
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Wait, is this turbo or non?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Turbo
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Alright, Here is what I show for turbo 05 S60.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok I'll start looking at that do you think the alt. Is to low and causing the problem
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
I believe with your symptoms, this alternator is failing. The CEM is obviously sending a signal to charge, since it is charging some. And I would certainly try an alternator before a CEM. These voltage regulators send the signal to the instrument cluster sometimes that the system isn't charging, however, it can be charging fine it's just the regulator goes bad, in that case, if it's charging fine, and you have no cranking or running issues, I have told customers before just to not worry about that charging message, unless they want to spend money getting that indicator out. ohm out the wire from the alternator to the battery, check your engine grounds. If all that's good, I would try another alternator.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did start checking all the grounds also . Ok thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 8 months ago.
Absolutely, Thank you. Let me know if you have any further questions.