Andy, Volvo Expert Technician
Experience:  One of only a handful of ACTUAL Volvo dealership technicians on JA, ASE Master Certified with L1

I've lost my only key to my car, it is not a fancy flip up

Customer Question

Hi I've lost my only key to my car, it is not a fancy flip up key or electric key, just the old school black square and metal sticking out, what should I do?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have no key, how should I get a replacement? 2002 Volvo S60
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Don't think I can, I need a new key
JA: Is there anything else the Volvo Mechanic should be aware of about your Volvo?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Volvo Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: I just need a new key
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 months ago.

Blanks are available ON-Line, E-Bay, etc, but you will need it cut.
Best thing to do is contact Dealer or Local Locksmith & they can cut one from your V.I.N., but you will need to supply proof of ownership & I.D.

IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
Rating is very Important to our Service

Expert:  Andy replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a Volvo dealership technician. A locksmith will not be able to cut the key from the VIN. Most dealers also cannot do this. They will need to order one pre-cut. Additionally, they will need the car so they can program the new key. Otherwise, all you'll be able to do is open the door- it will not start the car until it is programmed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will most likely have to toe the car?
Expert:  Andy replied 7 months ago.

Yes, you will need to tow the car to the dealer unless they have a mobile tech.

Expert:  Andy replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If not, please remember to select a rating for my service at the top of your screen. Note that two experts are involved, so please rate accordingly. Thank you!

Expert:  Andy replied 7 months ago.

Did you have any other questions?

Expert:  Andy replied 6 months ago.

I see you have checked back but not indicated the need for any further assistance. Please remember to select a rating at the top of your screen so that I may be credited for helping. Rating does not cost anything additional, it simply allows a small portion of the amount charged to be shared with me. Thank you.